Friday, August 11, 2017

Game Shakers' Madisyn Shipman Reveals Still Wants To be a Neurosurgeon

You best know Madisyn Shipman as Kenzie Bell from Nickelodeon’s hit comedy series Game Shakers — however, she’s dreaming much, much bigger in her future plans!


Editor x Art Direction: Michael St. Michael @michaelstmichael
Interview: Dylan Jader @thedylanjader
Photography: Jonny Marlow @marlowphoto
Wardrobe: Apuje @apuje
Makeup: Kerrie Urban @kerrieurban
Hair: Lucy Gedjeyan @lucygedjeyan

In her cover story with Prune magazine, Madisyn opened up about acting on the popular Nick show, including how she got her breakout role, and reveals that becoming a neurosurgeon is still on her goals list!

Prune: Your acting career began at a very young age. Walk me through the beginning.

Madisyn: I started acting when I was about six-years-old. I’d always wanted to be an actress, and my mom just thought it was a phase. She thought I would outgrow it, but I kept on bugging her about it, and finally said we could try it. We went to New York for the summer and I booked a Broadway show. We stayed out there for about six months, and then we ended up moving out there. The rest is history.

Prune: Many actors and comedians dream of making an appearance on SNL, and you accomplished that at age seven. Talk to me about that experience.

Madisyn: That was so much fun. It was probably my favorite job to work on when I was younger. There was always so much energy, and the whole cast and crew was just amazing. To know that I accomplished the SNL dream at age seven is pretty amazing.

Prune: You now star in Nickelodeon’s Game Shakers. Talk to me about your character, Kenzie.

Madisyn: Kenzie is the brains behind the operation. She codes all the games, and makes all the games. It’s awesome being able to portray her and put myself in her shoes. Personally, I can’t code at all. Being able to play a character who is really techy is awesome.

Prune: Kenzie represents female empowerment, a theme we are beginning to see more and more on screen. What does this mean to you?

Madisyn: It’s awesome. Our whole show is revolved around girl power. A lot of people aren’t really open to the idea, and the shows and movies that come out revolving around it teach younger children and even some adults that girl power is here and present. It’s awesome being able to have young girls come up to you and thank you for the show and tell them how much you’ve inspired them.

Prune: Game Shakers also stars one of Nickelodeon’s greatest, Kel Mitchell. What is it like to work with him?

Madisyn: Kel is the best guy ever. He’s my favorite person in the world, I love him so much. We call him “Uncle Kel” on set and he’s hilarious. He’s so sweet and like another father figure – the dad on set.

Prune: Did you grow up a Nickelodeon fan? What was your favorite show?

Madisyn: Oh I did. I was obsessed with Nickelodeon. My favorites were iCarly, Victorious, Zoey 101, and Drake and Josh.

Prune: You’ve mentioned in the past that you’d like to be a neurosurgeon eventually. What has inspired you to potentially take that career path?

Madisyn: My mom is a nurse and I’ve always been around the medical field. I love acting, and I don’t know what will happen in the future. I do want to go to college, and if I’m going to be in college I might as well study something I want to pursue. I want to be a neurosurgeon, so that is my plan. Let’s hope it works out.

Prune: You’re very interactive with your fans, and even went to prom with one in March. Tell me about that experience.

Madisyn: His name is Joe, he is the sweetest guy in the world. It was really awesome being able to go to the hospital and meet young kids who are struggling with so many things. The second they meet someone they love, it’s like a weight is lifted off their shoulders. It’s the best feeling in the world, being completely honest, I’ve never felt anything like it. Joe asked me to prom, and he was scared that I would say no. I would never say no, he is so sweet, so caring. We went to dinner, took pictures, and I still text him to this day.

Prune: How do you hope to use your platform to influence others?

Madisyn: I want to do a lot of charity work. That is really important in my eyes. I want to be like Sandra Bullock. She surrounds herself with charity work, inspiring young and old fans. I want to do something like her, she is my idol.

You can read Madisyn Shipman's fantastic interview with Prune magazine in full, in which the Nickelodeon star spills how she would like to pursue a career in music and about her fashion preferences, here on prunemagazine.com!

More Nick: Nickelodeon Launches The HALO Movement | How Do You HALO? | #WeHALO!

H/T: Just Jared Jr.; Additional source: Game Shakers Wiki.
Follow NickALive! on Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, via RSS, on Instagram, and/or Facebook for all the latest Nickelodeon and Game Shakers News and Highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say by leaving a comment below! NickALive! welcomes friendly and respectful comments. Please familiarize with the blog's Comment Policy before commenting. All new comments are moderated and won't appear straight away.